Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If My People

Tonight's Bible study will continue the theme, If My People! There was a cartoon several years ago in the Saturday Review of Literature in which little George Washington is standing with an axe in his hand. Before him lying on the ground is the famous cherry tree. He has already made his smug admission that he did it -- after all, he "cannot tell a lie." But his father is standing there exasperated saying, "All right, so you admit it! You always admit it! The question is, when are you going to stop doing it."

God calls for His people to humble themselves, repent of their sins, and turn from wickedness. The end result is that He Will Heal Our Land. It is only as we get control over our desires and refuse to allow our pride to be in control of our lives that we can find strength from God to live for Him. It is only then that we can have peace too.) When I humble myself, I kneel before my Maker allowing Him to do whatever He wants in my life. I come before Him as a weak human who humbly admits that left to myself, I will fall and be destroyed.



No comments: